Let’s be candid, nutrition is one of the most difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and fads are regularly emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unrealistic. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to perform properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet solo actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since beginning our 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same formula when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food consumption.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have substantially changed over the years. We teach our members about making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program stand out?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important aspect of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society creating an epidemic of obesity. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that fashion. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t count calories! We don’t focus on calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more significant than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific approach to determine your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you determine how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, allowing your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to include good fat in our diets as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get anywhere else.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food enters our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is consumed, our bodies go into “store mode” turning excess sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members have smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are allowed to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they eat those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you put in your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking adequate water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle soreness. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions in check.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, special meals that count points, counting calories or cutting every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and boost your confidence and energy.
Find a location to get more information about our comprehensive program and to enroll! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!